Cougar Connection

The Student News Site of Henry J. Kaiser High School

Cougar Connection

Cougar Connection

Kimberly McCoy running the 4x800
Track and Field
April 24, 2024
Fresh-Soph Banquet
Fresh-Soph Banquet
April 24, 2024
Kung Fu Panda 4
Kung Fu Panda 4
April 23, 2024

Russian Ukraine war concerns in Hawaii

How the Russian, Ukraine war effects Hawaii.
    Pixaby

Since Russia’s unjustified and illegal invasion of Ukraine caused upheavals around the world, there are concerns about basic resources in Hawaii.

There were many worries about energy and food which are directly connected to people’s lives like getting stable food resources and oil for vehicles.

“The worries about food prices and implantation will make the economy worse. And It actually happened, and the implantation was about 9%. “ said Ms. Pauil Tashima a teacher

Since the Ukraine invasion, wheat prices have risen by 21%, barley by 33%, and some fertilizers by a whopping 40%, according to the New York Times.

However, the changes in oil and food prices have been having an impact for several years, as people were already experiencing inflation even before the invasion.

The blame for this price enhancement is pointed to the war restricting shipping in the Black Sea, leading to food shortages and inflation around the world, including in Hawaii.

Hundreds of ships laden with wheat and corn have been stranded at Ukrainian ports unable to export their products.

‘At that time, there were a treaty between Russia and ukraine that will allow ukraine ships with food could cross the black sea; but Russia destroyed the treaty soon after they started to lose even more.” said Mr. Jay Lim, a Korean consulate. 

While Hawaii residents were already experiencing difficulties in purchasing food, oil prices also rose as Russian oil exports were stopped.

When the crude oil supply became unstable, the price of one barrel of crude oil jumped up to $130 in the international crude oil market.

Before the war, the price of crude oil in the international market was about $90 dollars per gallon and now, it is about $80 dollars per gallon which has become cheaper.

These events have seriously affected Hawaii because the island imports 100% of our oil, and up to 30% of our oil has come from Russia in recent years.

Despite this, President Joe Biden announced in early March of 2022 that he was going to reduce and eventually ban all Russian oil, coal and natural gas imports to the U.S.

This action changed the source of Hawaii’s crude oil supply from Russia to other cheaper and stabler countries, including Libya and the US mainland.

“The oil prices got cheaper after a few months and there is no problem at all, but before it was really expensive.” said a parent of a sophomore in Kaiser. 

Now, the price of crude oil prices have dropped below $80 dollars per gallon, after the US changed the country of origin of oil imports.

However, people should not put their guard down as the conflict in Russia and Ukraine is getting longer.

Especially, the  conflict between Russia and Ukraine on Bahamut are still going on, there are still going on and the Ukraine’s fall counter attack failed, fixing the front line of the battles.

Due to this ongoing war, there are unknown things that could happen and there are eyes in concern watching the situation.