Cougar Connection

The Student News Site of Henry J. Kaiser High School

Cougar Connection

Cougar Connection

Kimberly McCoy running the 4x800
Track and Field
April 24, 2024
Fresh-Soph Banquet
Fresh-Soph Banquet
April 24, 2024
Kung Fu Panda 4
Kung Fu Panda 4
April 23, 2024

Valentine’s Day at Kaiser High School

Valentines Day at Kaiser High School
Webneel Design Inspiration
Heart macaroon (Eleonora Pililyan)

On February 14, as Valentine’s Day approaches, students from Kaiser High School are bustling with excitement, making plans with their loved ones. The school and community are abuzz with preparations, adorning spaces with festive decorations to embrace the spirit of the holiday.

Eager staff members are adorning their classrooms and other areas around campus. Similarly, the Hawaii Kai Shopping Center is getting into the festive spirit by decorating stores and offering Valentine’s Day-themed items for sale.

Fifteen-year-old student Naomi Costescu finds Valentine’s Day incredibly romantic. To her, the day signifies expressing love for that special someone, exchanging gifts, and cherishing moments together. Naomi particularly loves the general atmosphere of Valentine’s Day, appreciating how everything feels so romantic and seeing couples happy together, which never fails to bring a smile to her face.

Naomi has never celebrated Valentine’s Day with someone special, saying, “I’ve never asked anyone to be my Valentine, and no one has asked me to be theirs.”

Sixteen-year-old sophomore Ella Miller views Valentine’s Day as a romantic occasion to spread love, but she acknowledges that for some, it can be a sad day, especially if they are single. Ella’s family celebrates the day by exchanging gifts, and her parents go on a date. Typically, Ella buys gifts for her friends, and if she has a special someone, she makes sure to get a gift for them too.

“In past relationships, I would spend time with my partner and exchange gifts. But when I’m single, I spend that time with my friends and give them presents,” Miller shared about her previous Valentine’s Day experiences. This year, she plans to spend the day with someone special.

Fourteen-year-old freshman Alexis Zane enjoys selecting gifts for the people she loves and values.

“To me, Valentine’s Day is about loving and appreciating either your friends or the person you’re in a relationship with,” she explained.

Zane has celebrated Valentine’s Day before, usually with her friends, exchanging Valentine’s cards. This year, she already knows she will celebrate the day with her close friends, whom she appreciates deeply. While her family doesn’t particularly celebrate the occasion, they typically exchange small gifts and chocolates.

“I have a fond memory of Valentine’s Day – when I was little, I would make breakfast for my mom, and it was a special moment for me,” Zane recalled.

In contrast, freshman student Mars Hazen does not see Valentine’s Day as a special day at all and considers it no different from any other day. Mars has never asked anyone to be his Valentine and has no plans to do so this year.

“One girl asked me to be her Valentine, but I rejected her,” said Hazen. He explained that since Valentine’s Day doesn’t hold any significance for him, there’s no point in having a Valentine.

However, even in things that people don’t enjoy, it’s possible to find something good. Mars mentioned that on Valentine’s Day, his family gets chocolate, which he enjoys.

Valentine’s Day often elicits varied opinions and emotions. Some may have negative associations with the event, while others feel romantic because they have someone special to celebrate with. Some people are simply happy to spread happiness and love. Each emotion is valid, and although Valentine’s Day is typically about spreading love, it can also be a time for expressing emotions, experiencing something new, or learning a life lesson.