Cougar Connection

The Student News Site of Henry J. Kaiser High School

Cougar Connection

Cougar Connection

How to Prepare for Exam Season

Getty+Images
Getty Images

With exam season coming up at Kaiser High School, students may start to find themselves more stressed and overwhelmed. With tight deadlines, anxious thoughts, and pressure to perform well, it’s important to adopt effective strategies to manage stress and get through these last few weeks with confidence and success. 

Exam stress is a natural response to the pressure of exams and the fear of failure. It can even manifest into physical symptoms like headache, fatigue, or psychological issues, like anxiety and difficulty concentrating.

Getty Images

During exam season, it’s essential to find ways to manage stress and avoid feeling overwhelmed.

One of the most essential things to do well on your exams is taking care of your physical and mental well-being. Getting enough sleep, eating well, and exercising regularly can all help reduce stress levels and improve overall well-being. Practicing relaxation techniques, like deep breathing or meditation, can also help you manage your stress better.

Brandon Lun, a senior at Kaiser who has taken several AP classes throughout his highschool career, always makes sure to take care of his well-being before taking the exam. 

“Before the test, I make sure I eat and get enough sleep to make sure I can perform well,” said Lun. 

Another good habit to consider is staying organized. Keeping track of deadlines, exam dates, and study materials can help prevent last-minute cramming and reduce stress. Using tools like planners or calendars can be helpful and inexpensive.

Brigitte Sporrer / Getty Images

One of the most important aspects of preparing for exams is effective time management. Creating a study schedule that breaks down the material into manageable chunks can help prevent feeling too overwhelmed or burnt out. 

Looking at past exam papers is another crucial step in preparing for exams. It allows you to familiarize yourself with the layout and types of questions you’ll be asked, giving you a clear understanding of what to expect on exam day. 

Sophomore Melanie Van Epps is taking her first two AP classes this year. “I always make sure to look at past exams and practice questions before we have tests in class. I’ve also been doing this to prepare for the exam in a couple of weeks,” said Van Epps. She also explains how it’s drastically improved her performance on tests and her understanding of the material.

By practicing completing these papers within the set time limit, you can improve your exam technique and get accustomed to the pressure of time constraints. This method not only helps you become more confident but also helps you identify areas where you may need to focus on, ultimately leading to more effective exam preparation.

And most importantly, it’s important for students to remember that it’s okay to ask for help if they need it. Whether it’s from teachers, peers, or school counselors, there are always resources available to support students.